I have worked as a secretary and typist all my life and recently developed carpal tunnel. Do I qualify for Workers Compensation?


Question: I am a typist who got carpal tunnel syndrome. My employer’s workers comp poster says that accidental injury is covered. This wasn’t really an accident though, it happened because I type all the time. Can I get worker’s compensation to pay for my medical claims and rehab? I also can’t work as a typist anymore because of the carpal tunnel, but I’m not rally qualified to do anything else. Will worker’s compensation pay me disability since I can’t do my job because of my carpal tunnel?

Response: In the vast majority of jurisdictions in the U.S., repetitive stress injuries such as carpal tunnel are compensable under worker’s compensation programs, as long as the injury arose out of and in the course of employment. Certain occupations, like typing, are more likely then others to give rise to a repetitive stress injury such as carpal tunnel. You should speak with an experienced worker’s compensation attorney who can help you determine whether you will be able to prove that your carpal tunnel arose out of and in the context of your employment. Your attorney can also help you file a claim with your employer. The types of benefits you will receive vary depending on the extent of your disability. If you are unable to type but otherwise able to work, worker’s compensation may pay for retraining benefits or vocational rehabilitation that will help you to become trained in another skill and return to the workforce.

Answered by Christy Rakoczy

Additional Resources:

  • State By State Workers Compensation laws
  • Work Inury Attorney

Disclaimer: This site does not provide legal advice and users of this site should not interpret any of the information presented here as legal advice. The information provided merely conveys general information related to commonly asked legal questions. We are not a law firm and the employees responding to questions are not acting as your legal attorney. You should ultimately consult with a Lawyer for your case.

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys